Jul 28, 2011

Yamaguchi Sensei at the JKS Scotland Hombu Dojo







When Scott Sensei informed me a couple of weeks ago that Yamaguchi Sensei would be coming over from Japan to teach in Scotland I immediately started looking for flights.
Yamaguchi Sensei is one of those inspirational instructors that you really don't want to miss out on training with. I had seen many you tube clips of him instructing and for years now, I have been looking for the chance that he'd be within reach!
Needless to say I was not disappointed.
I was very happy to see Koike Sensei when I arrived in the Scotland Hombu Dojo was also in attendance. Koike Sensei proved to be invaluable on the day, as he is more fluent in english and provided translation throughout the class and weekend.
The Scottish where very welcoming with Paul Sensei arranging for me to be met and collected at the airport by Ann. (Thank you Ann:).When I arrived at the Hombu Dojo, classes where already underway for kyu grades (and Sensei Dermott O Keeffe, who stayed on the floor once their was any class on).
The black belt class was a two hour session which was focused on Asai Ryu katas, Kakuyoko Shodan, Kakuyoko Nidan and Junro Godan. A challenge to take all on board!
Yamaguchi sensei moved swiftly through the class, accommodating those of us learning the kata and the more experienced karateka by going through bunkai for each kata by demonstrations and partner work and including training drills for both individual and partner work.
I look forward to having the opportunity to train with Yamaguchi Sensei again but I've been left with plenty to work on and develop in the mean time.